Hello, I’m Ewan and the guy behind this blog. As the name suggests, I’m passionate about Scotland – and particularly, Scotland’s wild places.
I love to experience adventures in Scotland’s outdoors, whether it’s walking, running, paddling, cycling or camping. For me, getting off the beaten track is just the perfect antidote to the business of ‘life’. I’m never happier than when I’m wild camping on a mountain summit with absolutely no signs of human existence in sight.
The world’s a big place and there are some fantastic locations to explore … and I do have a long bucket list of places I want to go. But Scotland’s landscape ranks up there among the best in the world, so for the time being I’m happy exploring my own back yard. On a clear day I can see three Munros and a Corbett from the end of my street. I’ve also seen the northern lights dancing in the night sky from my front doorstep. It’s a special part of the world and I consider myself a lucky guy.
So I’m a part-time adventurer, a husband, a dad and I work full-time. But I do like to make plans. And while Wild about Scotland documents my recent adventures it’s also contains my future plans. Lots of them. They inspire me and I hope they provide inspiration for you too.
Here are just a few of my current interests:
Walking: I’m a Mountain Leader and Munroist, having climbed all the 3000ft mountains in Scotland, England and Wales. I also enjoy backpacking which means I can take a tent with me
VW camper vans: My VW California is my daily vehicle as well as my holiday home on wheels. Having that flexibility and freedom is a real luxury, and puts a big smile on my face. A van with a tent on top – fantastic!
Cycle touring: I’ve cycled from Land’s End to John O’Groats and toured around Scotland. It’s a good excuse to take a tent and pitch up for the night
Duke of Edinburgh: I’m an Expedition Supervisor, leading groups of young people on DofE expeditions from my local high school. Camping’s a big part of DofE
Sea kayaking: I’ve just taken up sea kayaking so I can explore and camp on mountains and islands
Camping: Did I mention that I like camping? My first camping memory is sleeping in a canvas tent bag in France (aged 6) since my parents forgot a sleeping bag for their youngest boy. Somehow that didn’t put me off. I really love wild camping in Scotland’s wild places.
Introducing Wild about Scotland
Wild about Scotland is my award-winning personal blog:
- voted ‘Best UK Camping Blog’ in the Trespass Blog Awards in both 2016 and 2014
- shortlisted (also by a public vote) in the Go Outdoors Blog Awards 2016
- ranked either first or second by Google when searching for Scottish camping or campervan blogs
- featured as an Editor’s Pick on WordPress Discover in March 2017.
This site has received over 1.5 million views since late 2012 – around 550,000 to 600,000 annually in 2015 and 2016. In January 2017 the blog had 2,400 followers: 1,500 on Twitter, 900 on WordPress and 60 on Instagram.
I write, take photographs, review products and have been published and interviewed in the following ways:
- I’m a gear reviewer for Nevisport
- Cool Camping (guidebooks/website): A beginner’s guide to hiring a campervan or motorhome
- Cool Camping (guidebooks/website): Campervan Hire – making the most of your rental motorhome
- BBC Radio Scotland’s Out for the Weekend: Interviewed about my insider tips on hiring and owning a campervan
- Aston Leisure: Buying or hiring a campervan or motorhome and reviewing the new T6 VW California
- Jerba Campervans: Review of the Jerba Tiree
I’m happy to review outdoor-related products and services which are directly aligned with my blog.
Please contact me if you’d like to discuss a collaboration or product review. I’d love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment, drop me a note or tell me your story.